The People's Barony
Welcome to Bryn Madoc
The Barony of Bryn Madoc is part of the Kingdom of Meridies in the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).
Welcome to the Current Middle Ages!
The Barony of Bryn Madoc is our name for the Athens chapter of the SCA. The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) is an international nonprofit organization that re-creates the skills and lifestyles of medieval and Renaissance Europe.
Members range across all ages, and include students, families with small children, as well as those who have been in the SCA for many years. Bryn Madoc inclues Athens, Jefferson, Commerce, Watkinsville, Monroe, Winder, and points in-between.
We host meetings and fighter practices and workshops and weekend-long “events.” At events we dress in “garb,” attend “tournaments,” eat fancy feasts, and sing or dance late into the night. You can find something happening nearly every weekend all over the Southeast.
We’re so happy you came here. We look forward to sharing our hospitality, recreating the Middle Ages as they should have been.
If you need help or have questions, just ask:
MEETINGS & NOTICES
The Kingdom of Meridies has resumed live activities. Virtual activities will also continue. Please check our Facebook page* for the latest meetings and updates.
The Society's Board of Directors now permits live events that must follow specific caveats. They have also set SCA COVIDSafe Policy standards for event attendees. Please see this SCA COVID-19 amendment for the newest protocols.
- Business meetings are held on the FIRST Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. online. For more information, please contact the Seneschal, Mistress Derbail (Dee McKinney).
- Martial Activities: Heavy combat fighter practice is being held at Dacula Park (205 Dacula Road) in Dacula, GA (see below for directions) on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Please contact the Knight Marshal, Baron Engelbrecht (Alex Medina), for more information, including locations and times or if you have questions.
- For the latest listings on Arts & Sciences workshops, please check the Arts & Sciences calendar or contact the Arts & Sciences officer, Thegn Dyfn (Buck Marchinton) for more information.
- Please contact our Baronial Herald, the Silver Sail Pursuivant, for heraldic submissions and information on heraldry use within the SCA.
- European dance classes are held as interest warrants, currently online. Please contact the Dancemistress, Baroness Mariona (Susan Wilson) for dates, time, and more information.
- For the most current information on Baronial activities, join our email list by signing up through the Bryn Madoc Google group. We also have an official page on Facebook* and a group on Facebook.* Discord user? Please contact Mistress Derbail (astyanax#0706 or via email) for an invite to our active server.
- If you'd like to learn more about the Barony's history, visit Lymphad Journey: The Hall of Memory for the Barony of Bryn Madoc, Thegn Dyfn's personal site on the history of Bryn Madoc.
- If you're new to the SCA or interested in learning more about our organization, please investigate the SCA's Newcomers' Portal and the Kingdom of Meridies Chatelaine's site.
Here are some upcoming local-group and Kingdom-level events. Please see the Meridies calendar for all upcoming events and links to virtual events and classes. While live events are now on the calendar, they are still subject to restrictions and possible cancellations.
- Sept. 30 — Meridian Grand Tournament (Kingdom of Meridies. Bert Adams Scout Camp, 218 Scout Rd., Covington, GA)
- Oct. 14 — Fall Coronation (Shire of Tir Briste. 2251 Boy Scout Rd., Byron, GA 31008)
- Oct. 21 — Danelaw (Barony of Bryn Madoc. Fort Yargo State Park, Group Shelter B, Yargo Area B Rd. (off of GA 81), Winder, GA)
- Oct. 27 — Gatalop (Barony of the Osprey. Fort Gaines, 51 Bienville Blvd., Dauphin Island, AL 36528)
- Nov. 11 — Fall Crown List (Shire of Arenal. NW Florida Fairgrounds, 1958 Lewis Turner Blvd., Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547)
- Nov. 16-19 — Castle Wars (Barony of the South Downs. McIntosh Reserve Park, 1046 W. McIntosh Cir., Whitesburg, GA 30185)
- Dec. 2 — Magna Faire (Barony of Iron Mountain. Dalwhinnie Fields, 251 Pine Flat Church Rd., Marion, AL 36756)
- Dec. 9 — Winter Market (Barony of Glaedenfeld)
Past video of our Viking Games event courtesy of the UGA’s NewsSource 15!
- Directions to the Meetings: Meetings are currently being held online. See our Facebook page* or contact the Seneschal, Mistress Derbail (Dee McKinney) for connection information.
- Directions to Dacula Fighter Practice: Dacula Park is located between Atlanta and Athens, GA in the town of Dacula, at 205 Dacula Rd. Map.*
From GA-316: Take best route to GA-316, turn north onto Harbins Rd., and continue onto Dacula Rd.